1959 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster

190SL 1.jpg
190SL 2.jpg
190SL 3.jpg
190SL 4.jpg
190SL 9.jpg
190SL 10.jpg
190SL 11.jpg
190SL 12.jpg
190SL 13.jpg
190SL 6.jpg
190SL 7.jpg
190SL 8.jpg
190SL 5.jpg
190SL 14.jpg
190SL 15.jpg
190SL 1.jpg
190SL 2.jpg
190SL 3.jpg
190SL 4.jpg
190SL 9.jpg
190SL 10.jpg
190SL 11.jpg
190SL 12.jpg
190SL 13.jpg
190SL 6.jpg
190SL 7.jpg
190SL 8.jpg
190SL 5.jpg
190SL 14.jpg
190SL 15.jpg

1959 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster

2.00
  • Restored by Redcastle in 2011
  • Freshly Rebuilt Engine
  • Matching Numbers
  • Factory Hardtop
Add To Cart

In 1954 Mercedes stunned the world with their advanced and simply beautiful 300SL ‘Gullwing’ Coupé, a road going version of the W194 that marked Mercedes’ return to motorsport after the end of the war. The following year the 300SL was joined by a smaller capacity but similarly styled version in roadster form, the 190SL.

Using a brand new 1,897cc overhead camshaft four cylinder engine, the new 190SL sat on the same wheelbase as the 300SL and used such advanced features as a four-speed, all synchromesh gearbox, hydraulically-assisted drum brakes and fully independent suspension all round. The result was a car that was not only far more refined and comfortable than its rivals, thanks to the independent suspension, but was also capable of 100mph and fuel consumption of near 30mpg, an astounding feat for the time. The 190SL was such a resounding success that production continued until 1963 when both the 300SL and 190SL were superseded by the new W113 230SL ‘Pagoda’

This particular example was delivered to the USA in 1959. We are still researching its early history, but the history file picks from 1976 with the car being owned by a Mr. Robert J. Malkotan who lived in Riverview, Detroit, MI. By 1982 the car has been sold to Mr. George Dubois, who was residing in La Bolsa, Dallas, Texas. There is evidence from the invoices that the engine was rebuilt in 1982/3. In 1988 George Dubois moved to California and the car lived in the Golden State until George decided it was time for the car to start a new chapter in Europe when the car was sold to a Dr. A. Esack of Wolverhampton in 2010. He had the car delivered to renowned 190SL experts Redcastle Classics Ltd of Caerphilly to be totally restored to its current specification. Nearly all of the parts necessary for the restoration were provided by George Dubois and were shipped with the car to the UK. Invoices from Redcastle total over £35,000 GBP excluding these parts, which shows what an extensive restoration this was

In the last 12 months we have had the engine completely rebuilt and run in, a new hood bag has been made and the brakes have been overhauled and serviced. She is now very much ready to be enjoyed and in the most desirable of colour combinations. Accompanied by an exhaustive history file with invoices, correspondence, sketches and notes going back to 1976, as well as an original 190SL owners handbook, parts catalogue, service book and workshop manual. This is a stunning example that truly wants for nothing and has been gone through from bumper to bumper by the best people in the business.