1933 Alvis Speed 20 SA Cross & Ellis Long Wing Tourer

Alvis 1.jpg
Alvis 4.jpg
Alvis 3.jpg
Alvis 12.jpg
Alvis 10.jpg
Alvis 11.jpg
Alvis 5.jpg
Alvis 6.jpg
Alvis 7.jpg
Alvis 9.jpg
Alvis 13.jpg
Alvis 16.jpg
Alvis 8.jpg
Alvis 14.jpg
Alvis 15.jpg
Alvis 1.jpg
Alvis 4.jpg
Alvis 3.jpg
Alvis 12.jpg
Alvis 10.jpg
Alvis 11.jpg
Alvis 5.jpg
Alvis 6.jpg
Alvis 7.jpg
Alvis 9.jpg
Alvis 13.jpg
Alvis 16.jpg
Alvis 8.jpg
Alvis 14.jpg
Alvis 15.jpg

1933 Alvis Speed 20 SA Cross & Ellis Long Wing Tourer

2.00
  • Recently restored to exacting standards
  • 1 of 6 long wing tourers
  • Drives beautifully
  • Stunning black with red combination
Add To Cart

Alvis introduced the Speed 20 in 1932, and in doing so, created one of the best loved cars of the Pre-War era.  The all new, low slung, double drop chassis gave the car a sporting look that was backed up by the 2.5 litre, 6-cylinder engine which had overhead valves, triple SUs and gave 90 h.p and a top speed of 90+ mph! 

 ‘The new Alvis Speed Twenty is the type of car which looks right, feels right and is right. From the driver's point of view the controls are all just where they are required and the power, speed and acceleration provided by the "hotted-up" but, nevertheless, silky six-cylinder engine are literally an eye-opener to anyone accustomed to driving about in a more or less sedate manner in ordinary motor cars of medium size.' - Motor magazine March 1932.

CG 4871 was first registered on July the 1st, 1933, by Scotts of Southampton.  It carries the very elegant ‘long-wing’ touring body by Cross and Ellis, 1 of 6 believed to be made.  CG4871 went on to spent a number of years in the USA from 1968 when it was owned by the renowned Triumph Motorcycle man Rod Coates who started the rebuild but due to the onset of Alzheimer's disease the car was not finished (see link below).  It was eventually sold in 1984 to “Mac” McGrady, a keen collector of Nash Healeys among other things, who owned the car until 1995.  It then passed through two others before the current owner acquired it in 2001. 

The current owner had CG 4871 comprehensively rebuilt mechanically by Earley Engineering after which it was completely stripped down to its bare chassis and had a full frame and body rebuild by Tim Hastings and Brian Martin, artisans located at the world famous Old Vicarage in South Stoke, Oxfordshire.  There is a large file of photos to show how complete and beautifully they did the job.

Now finished in its original colour of Black with Red leather, CG looks fabulous and drives beautifully.  A wonderful car for touring, rallies, competitions and I’m sure it would do well in the odd Concours d’Elegance as well!

   (http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=403)